Jewelry is an investment. Earrings, rings, bracelets and necklaces are not just worth their monetary value, but their sentimental value as well. Taking care of your costume jewelry makes it last longer, shine brighter and fit just as securely as the day when you bought it. When caring for costume jewelry, there are certain tips you should use to keep everything looking great.
Gentle Cleaning of Costume Jewelry
Lotions, oils, perfume and dirt can get into your costume gems and make them a little lackluster. For gentle cleaning of costume jewelry, find a bright work space, get some canned air, a soft toothbrush, a microfiber cloth and a toothpick.
- First, use the brush to loosen any visible dirt around stones or clasps.
- Use canned air to spray dirt out of the little pockets under stones.
- For deep down bits of dirt, a toothpick can be used to dislodge the spot.
- Use the cloth to polish up the stones and any metals.
Washing Costume Jewelry
You do not want to submerge jewelry into water as it can cause rust, tarnishing, wearing of elastic and hardening of clasps. However, a bit of soap and water can help to remove any oils or dirt which will not come off with simple brushing. For washing costume jewelry gather soapy water, a soft toothbrush, a microfiber cloth and a hair dryer.
- Dip the toothbrush into the soapy water and use it to gently scrub any stones with visible dirt. Most often, dirt will be gathered on the underside of the stone, rather than the top.
- When the stones or chain are clean, dry the jewelry with a microfiber cloth.
- If the jewelry has gotten very wet, use the hairdryer, on low setting, to ensure that the item is completely dry.
Polishing Costume Jewelry
For deep cleaning of costume jewelry, be careful what you use. Costume jewelry is made up of many parts and things such as baking soda, alcohol or other harsh cleaners can damage your beautiful things. Metal polish or jewelry cleaner is designed for bracelets, rings and earrings and will not cause scratching. Gather jewelry cleaner, a soft toothbrush and a microfiber cloth.
- Brush away visible dirt with the toothbrush.
- Apply the jewelry cleaner to the metal parts of the costume jewelry and let it sit for the recommended period of time.
- Rinse carefully with the toothbrush.
- If needed, use a toothpick to get into any small crevices which the brush will not reach.
- Wipe clean with the microfiber cloth to ensure there is no cleaning residue which can dull fine items.
Basic Costume Jewelry Care
Besides these tips and tools for cleaning costume jewelry, there are a few tips you should use for daily care. The better care you take with your jewelry, the longer you will be able to enjoy it.
- Remove all jewelry when applying lotion.
- Remove all jewelry when showering.
- Remove all jewelry when heading into a pool or hot tub.
- At night, store jewelry in a safe, soft case.
- When traveling, store jewelry in individual bags or boxes.
- Do not pull or tug on jewelry when removing it.
- Check clasps periodically to ensure that nothing will slip off.
- Check stones periodically to ensure that everything is secure.
Maintaining your costume jewelry helps to preserve it's value. These items may have been a gift to yourself for a special accomplishment, a gift from someone you love for a birthday or holiday or something which has been handed down from your Grandmother.
Costume jewelry can be a wonderful part of your collection and can last for years with proper care.
A new year means new trends. When it comes to putting together your wardrobe, one of the easiest things to change up each season is jewelry. From earrings to bracelets, jewelry can transform any outfit. This year, get your inspiration from the runway. Steal these looks from the high end designers, and make them your own for less! A Choke [...]
Jewelry is one of the best accessories a woman can own. Earrings, rings, bracelets and other baubles dress up any outfit. Jewelry could symbolize a special occasion, a life event or just a whimsical purchase on a Tuesday afternoon. No matter how large your jewelry collection, here are some tips for showing it off. Show Off Your StyleJewelry is [...]
A necklace is one piece of jewelry nearly every woman owns. Necklaces range from simple chokers to long strands of pearls, and everything in between. This jewelry item dresses up a basic t shirt, completes a little black dress and makes an ordinary outfit pop. However, with so many necklaces, how do you know which [...]